02-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #74
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Agree, I have no problem with the SUV's, my bigger issue is with the design and softening of even their sports division. M is becoming diluted and they are watering down many areas. Porsche builds SUV's but they at least put their profits towards building great sports cars. BMW may stick a manual transmission in the M3/4 but that doesn't excuse the issues I have with the cars. The M5 CS was a great showing of what the M division can do, I hope they push that thinking further into more models.
I see where you're coming from.

Porsche is also diluting if you look at it that way. The Boxster (which is supposed to be their purest sports car) comes with a uninspiring 4 cylinder. I think one huge problem is turbocharging, as N/A engines are MUCH more engaging and raw.

BMW's M division is as good as ever with their products and I'm certain the new M3 will be a hoot to drive. As far as sticking M on most of the products, that's something that Audi started with their S4 being moved down to 335i category in 2010, this forced BMW and MB to use M and AMG on their regular cars in order to keep up with "S" lineup cars. MB, BMW and Audi are all guilty of "diluting" those names but in reality, the people who know, know the difference between the proper M/AMG cars.
Appreciate 0