View Single Post
      02-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #1137
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

I have a 2016 228i and I love almost everything about it. Thanks to BimmerCode I've removed many of my gripes (double door pull, windows stop working when the door is opened, etc.), however, there are a few issues I just can't seem to get past.

(1) The center console was not designed with any good place to put a phone without using a cup holder. I wanted to keep the OEM look of everything so I tried a phone mount from Rennline (this one: https://www.rennline.com/images/PM01.19-4.jpg) that mounts the phone next to the stereo and looks very stock, but sadly I learned the hard way that it was only meant for the F30 model and not mine. It wasn't cheap (about $50 with shipping), but I've since returned it and still have no good place to put my phone.

(2) Spotify is an absolute failure at best. It works when it wants to, various buttons randomly aren't clickable, and I have to unplug/re-plug my phone quite often when the connection stops working. Apparently this is a very common issue among BMW/Spotify users who do not have Apple CarPlay for which neither BMW or Spotify has plans to address given the addition of CarPlay in newer models.

(3) My car came with a giant, beautiful screen - the bigger of the two - atop the dash, but BMW failed to equip the car with a backup camera. A ridiculous oversight when you consider the manufacturer's cost of the camera and module is less than $100, but adding camera functionality post purchase, as a consumer, will cost you upwards of $300-$400.

*The only benefit of actually spending money to get the camera is that you can add an aftermarket Apple CarPlay module with a backup camera input and kill two birds with one stone.

(4) Lastly, the Connected Drive phone app is very limited. I see no reason to not offer further capabilities such as windows/sunroof control, remote start, etc. And given that you can "ventilate" the car from the app it stands to reason that remote heated seats would be a welcome and simple addition. It's also painfully slow to communicate with the car when sending a lock or unlock signal. Really the only thing the Connected App is good for is showing off to your friends.

Despite my complaints, I love this car. It's my first BMW and getting behind the wheel always puts a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0