fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Agree Engine Modification is one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
It's not bad code. Far from it. It's probably purposeful on BMW's part to protect its software, ECU, CAN-BUS, and any other proprietary electronic systems it has in place. There is heavy resistance among almost all car manufacturers to keep each car's "OS" from being overridden for a variety of reasons -- primary among them being warranty claims relating to engine modifications. This is why chiptuning or ECU reflashing is going the way of the dodo in favor of a more simple 'piggyback' style overrides -- the latter doesn't alter CAN-BUS; it merely feeds it data that overrides certain ECU functions. This is also why companies like Dinan can't crack BMW's active suspension software in certain models.

Under warranty, BMW is on the hook to fix anything that an aftermarket alteration doesn't directly affect. With as complicated as iDrive and the audio system is, who but BMW can safely, and with 100 percent authority, say that an aftermarket amp with a different electronic 'signature' wouldn't affect the function of something also operated by iDrive?

Despite those articles, it's still a crapshoot precisely because only BMW knows how its electronics operates.
But this is an audio amp. Sure anything drive train related is a risk as it is mission critical. BMW usually gets this right because getting it wrong can kill people. An audio amp, meh, what as your taking an exit ramp at 75 mph, your favorite tunes stop working?

At least you'll make the turn and live. Not sure if that can happen if you wrote custom suspension, transmission, ABS, and engine tuning code.

It's still ridiculous to me how they engineered this. This to me is a teltall sign of sloppy software development in places where it is not critical. This is classic pre production code meant to be tested in real life by consumers. This is BMW business as usual. And a smart company spending money is the right places.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0