Thread: Building Zero
View Single Post
      06-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #34
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Decided to give dipping my emblems a shot. Well, a second shot. I actually messed up the first round of it. The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to pull the dip AWAY from the emblem when you go to pull the excess dip from the vehicle. Aside from wanting something quick and cheap to do I wanted to see if I wanted black emblems at all. At some point I'll replace these with the ones offered by IND. However, I'm pretty happy with the results, so that mod has floated way down my list.

I used both the black and clear glossifier dip which can be found at Lowe's in the spray paint section. I did 5 coats of black and 4 coats of clear while waiting 15 mins in between each coat. I then waited 30 mins after the final coat before pulling the dip. I watched numerous YouTube vids on this, but found this one to be the most concise.

After masking off around the emblems with painter's tape I draped my car with a plastic drop cloth though and cut out the plastic around the emblems. I then applied more painter's tape to make sure that there was a minimal amount of overspray. I wasn't as insane on my first round of this and wound up having to remove a bunch of overspray with with quick detailer and a microfiber towel. While not too difficult it was definitely a pain enough for me to ensure that it didn't happen again. In the pic you can see where I kinda had some difficulty around the 2. The dip started coming off of the emblem, so I had to stop pulling it. From about 6' you don't even notice it which is fine by me.

I hope you like the results and consider giving it a shot yourself.
Attached Images

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0