View Single Post
      08-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #28
MadJonny
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
Woah, sorry i havent posted in a while, been busy with the car.

Lots of replies, i really appreciate everyones inputs

Excellent point, I purchased the used M235i after extensive research because i figured id be better off having forged internals. However on the flip side, once my motor died. It was a huge pain in the ***.

In fact it was such a pain to find an M235i motor, that one of the local shops that services bimmers under warranty. Suggested I have my crankshaft machined and drop in with new bearings, as it would be easier than having to find a new motor. Another shop also suggested sourcing an N55 from a 335i and "just stage one it bro" (real response from a shop, i was shocked )
I respectfully denied both offers/solutions.

The motor i found with 15k miles on the clock ended up costing me 7.8k + shipping and i have to return my old core.

I just got the motor this week so its not in the car yet. im waiting on the VAC motorsport bearings to arrive.

So, it turns out that the N55 has a poor oil pan and oil pump design in the first place. this is why in the S55 of the m2, the oil pan was redesigned ( and can be retrofitted on non Xdrive N55s) and the S55 also uses a dual oil pump system.

BMW knows that the N55 suffers from oil starvations issues, and after speaking to an independent beemer tech who flew out to germany for some training of these motors, I have solid reason to believe that BMW didnt bother with upgrading the bearings because most of the time, if the bearings do fail due to: improper maintenance intervals, track abuse, neglect. They almost always fail outside of the manufacturer warranty.
IF i didnt have Xdrive, i would definetly forgo the VAC motorsport bearings and just get the S55 oil pan and oil pump retrofitted as it increases flow by "18%" which illiminates the oil starvation issue for all application; track/daily use and maybe even said 30 second donuts

Im not sure if the Xdrive oilpan is worse than the non Xdrive n55 oil pan. However I do know that we cannot swap the S55 oil pan due to said front drive shaft. Iv been trying to find out if we can swap the S55's dual oil pump and keep our stock oil pan. No luck tho on my research, no one has attempted it to my knowledge.
Hello,

No you cannot just add the second pump because it's not going to give any benefit. The second pump just gets the oil from the front of the the oil sump and sends it the rear enclosed area through the little sifon.
I don't even think that upgraded rods would solve any issue due to lack of oil. I don't remember but there is a product on the market that acts as a small oil sump in case of oil starvation but i cannot recall the name.

Also check out on youtube this lesson from HP garage maybe you can find some ideas for a custom solution for the Xdrive model
Budget Oiling Solution | Creating the Ultimate Wet Sump [GOLD WEBINAR LESSON]

Sorry for the bad pictures but they were just for personal use:

Left stock n55 sump, right S55 sump
Name:  IMG_20210512_191540.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  191.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20210512_191556.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  174.9 KB

Dual oil pump
Name:  IMG_20211023_161836.jpg
Views: 1597