View Single Post
      08-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
I shouldn't need a warranty on the drive out of the dealers parking lot! Lol my god man the car shouldn't be having any issues just driving her home...I think thats a fair expectation even for a used vehicle.

The salesman was super nervous and anxious to get the test drive over as fast as possible and was trying to talk numbers the entire 90 seconds I was behind the wheel for the test drive. It could have been throwing codes and I didn't even notice due to his posturing and distraction. I tried to pay attention but was running on empty mentally from work week/travel.

I play the numbers in life, and the odds of this failing the moment I drive home but at no point in time before are very very long odds. That would be uncanny that after 4 years of existence and usage this device chose to fail just moments after we signed the papers and moved money...

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe we'll go to mars. Who knows.

Thanks to whoever posted that diagram stating this is a known problem.

Cheers
I can assure you, parts fail at random and without notice. In this case, it is a common characteristic/flaw of the vehicle, I'd still chalk it up to coincidence. I've worked at a car dealership for 4 years, I can assure you there is no way to magically make your lights work before you leave and then have them fail shortly after you buy the car. That being said, I understand your frustration. I've been there many a times with frustrations and vehicles. New/Old. Parts fail at random a lot of times. I've had 3 motors fail (not on this platform) and guess what, just seconds prior it was running PERFECT!

I've had a CEL appear just 23 miles after purchasing a new car. I've had a family member have a vehicle catch fire just weeks after purchase and a total loss. Another family member bought a brand new BMW and had to return with under 100 miles and have it replaced entirely with a new car! It's just the nature of machines and failures.

As a mechanic, we've had customers come in for brakes and oil changes and blame us when their passenger seat (never touched, used or sat in) broke. Coincidental failures just happen.
Appreciate 0