01-16-2022, 02:41 PM   #5
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Rod bearing failures on the EWG N55s are rare. Like you said, when they fail in the EWG N55s, it's usually because of high lateral sustained Gs during track driving. The fix is the S55 oil sump parts swap.

With that said, with your mods, you are pushing the safeguard limits of the N55. One bad knock event could hammer the piston so hard that it squashes the oil film between the rod bearing and crank.

I strongly suggest never going moderate to heavy throttle in a tall gear (3rd and above) at rpms below 4000rpms. This is called a high load situation which can introduce a huge surge of boost and potentially low speed preignition (LSPI). In stock form, then DME is quick enough to respond to keep this from happening. With Stsge 2 and beyond mods, the DME might not be able to keep up.

While good practice,, changing oil often really isn't going to do much for preventing spun bearings.
Understood. I should be fine as there's a good chance it won't see anything except for normal street driving and canyons.

Now, this is definitely interesting/concerning since I send data logs to my tuner in 3rd gear from 3k-6k RPMs. My revisions are done now but I will make sure to keep away from this in the future.
Appreciate 0