01-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

N55 Rod Bearing Issues

Hello everyone,

Seeking peace of mind as I've been reading way too much into the forums. Yes I realize this is counterintuitive since I'm asking to read even more into the forums.

I have a '16 M235i 6MT with 25k miles and have been reading a lot about oil starvation and engine seizures on the N55's. More common on PWG models but still see quite a few on EWG models. Most of the stories are from the track but have heard a few from normal driving.

I'm Stage 2 custom e30 pushing roughly 17 psi and never track it. No doughnuts or drifting either. I usually canyon the car about twice a month when I switch back to 91 tune and some of the turns can sustain fairly high G forces. After hearing some horror stories about these N55's blowing up, even with the improved rods/crankshaft that the M235i engines get, I guess I'm a bit worried every time I want to push the car in canyons or daily driving. Love the car and want to be able to drive it for a while longer.

I change oil every 3-5k miles with 5w-40 as I'm in Southern California and it's usually warmer here. Never have red lined as I usually shift at 6k since the power usually drops off around there.

Can anyone pitch in with their own experiences or advice as to avoiding such a failure? Last thing I want is to end up paying nearly 20k for a replacement engine. Anyone usually canyon their car without issue? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks again.