View Single Post
      01-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #60
ptt127
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
A great resource on electric assisted vs hydraulic assisted.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature
There's a chart in the data section showing effort vs lateral g that says it all. Hydraulic has the stronger ramp-up in effort before it goes light right before the limit, while electric is just a straight line with a very mild slope. The only weird thing was that C&D seemed to praise this linear behavior as better, but I disagree. That buildup in effort with increasing cornering forces and wheel going light right at the limit *IS* steering feel. It's how the steering communicates to the driver how hard the front tires are working and when they are about to let go.

I certainly hope it is getting better because our 2013 F30 with DHP/VSS is frickin awful. In terms of effort it's the automotive equivalent of a weak handshake or dancing with a partner who doesn't push against you to make a frame. Driving 2 E90s back to back with it was an absolute revelation.

I agree that Sam's article has what we need to know written between the lines. That commitment to friction free and very low effort around town is the sad part. If we keep apologizing for it and heaping faint praise at it, then the terrorists have won.
Appreciate 0