View Single Post
      10-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Sold the car, moving on. Maybe useful pricing info

Well, it was finally time to let the M235 go. I just was never in love it and it never did any one good thing perfectly, but rather was okay a lot of things.

Few reasons I sold:

The seat was just never comfortable to me. After about an hour, I would start getting pain in my lower thigh. I tried every combination of adjustment and it just never worked. I love long drives so this was really an issue for me.

I did autocross and track days in the car and it was pretty underwhelming. For autocross, there was no chance for the car in B Stock. On track, without allowance for better camber and skinny front tires, it just wasn't a reassuring car. I was quick in it, but it killed front tires. Sure all of this has a possible fix, but I didn't want to mod a brand new car. It also irked me that the only way to get decent tires would have been yet another set of wheels sitting in my garage. Brakes also were some of the worst I've felt on a BMW.

Steering and suspension just didn't work great for me. The car just felt floaty to me always. In Sport (suspension) it was still just floaty but added bouncy. Steering really is vague. The car is not the easiest to place on the correct entrance/apex without actually watching the whole way rather than looking down the track for the next placement and feeling location through the wheel.

I loved the ZF8 at all but cruising in stop and go. There just always seemed be a disconnect between the throttle mapping and upshift/downshift that made it actually a bit hurky jerky. I really should have bought a manual.

That said, I took the car to Carmax and sold it. Here are the details:
  • 2016 M235i Coupe
  • ZF8 Auto
  • Estoril Blue
  • Just under 10k miles
  • Loaded. Nav, HK, Parking Sensors, Moonroof, Cold-weather, etc. Only thing it didn't have radar cruise package (whatever it was called)
  • Perfect. It literally just sat in my garage 99% of the time. No dents, scratches, greasy fingerprints on the interior, floor mats still in the plastic. Seriously, you could not have found a cleaner car.

- MSRP, which I paid a little under Aug 2016, was ~$52k I believe.
- Their offer: $29k even
- So the car (to me) lost ~900/month in depreciation, which doesn't include my own cost of ownership.

Overall, it really was a good car. I did enjoy washing it and then going out for a nice weekend drive or out to dinner. It NEVER had a fault or issue beyond a small interior rattle and the BMW dealer/service was really great. I loved having it, but I'm happy to see it go and free up my garage for something else and continue on my project cars.

See ya later 2-Addicts!
Appreciate 0