View Single Post
      04-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #16
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
It depends. If you're touring around the West, for example, the next place you'd want fixing your problem may be some distance away. That's why you'd carry a full-size spare and the tools necessary to mount it. Then you're in a position to wait until you reach a shop qualified to mount a new tire on an 18" wheel. If you've chosen well, they won't run the nut/bolt beyond the 104 ft. lbs. called for by BMW.
I agree with you in theory. Best to have the ideal toolset and spare items. However, I dont see how accurate or reliable a torque wrench is that is used for removing anything...as most of the ones Ive ever owned specify to NOT use it to remove screws. Also...the angle of it doesnt inspire confidence for removing lug nuts...I see it stripping/rounding some for sure though.

I have a full sized spare for that same exact reason. Always have, and have never had an issue hand torqueing a tire with a breaker bar or with a traditional tire iron. It will get you far enough on that and Ive done it that way for YEARS without ever having an issue. Odds are the non-matched tires will do damage long before any "overtorquing" would in that situation. I also dont plan on cruising a thousand miles on my spare.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50