06-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #22
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
8.5" wheels are not recommended for your rear tires; see the Rim Width Range below:

I assume you could still run it, but I have no idea how safe it would be. Autocrossers, including successful ones, often match tires and wheels well out of the norm, and it works for them. A circuit track is a much different challenge for a tire, though.

The general rule of thumb for matching tires to wheels when going to the track is that the tire's tread width be +/- 1" of the wheel width. In the case of the RE-71R, that puts the 245/40-18 in the sweet spot. Note that there is no 245/35-18 in RE-71R. Although I'd choose a 35-series over a 40-series for the track, I don't know how much difference it's going to make unless you're competing in time trials, autocross, or something like that. All else being equal, the tread compound trumps the series height.

A tire tread width on the minus side of the +/- 1" range will provide the driver with crisper handling (e.g., a tire with 8.1" of tread width on an 8.5" wide wheel will generally have better turn-in characteristics than a tire with 9.1" of tread width on that same wheel). That generalization is widely accepted by track rats who have often tried quite a few variations while looking for the best combination of grip and steering feel.

You too may well end up trying a number of combinations until you find one that you're satisfied with. Same thing with brake pads, tire compounds, and any other variables you choose to play around with (e.g., power, differentials, weight reductions, etc.).
Perfect explanation that explains alot. Did some research and I've chosen the Yokohama Advan A052 as my track tire.

I have two sizes narrowed down, so what would you recommend?
245/40/18 square or 235/40/18 square

The only reason I would consider the 245s is more traction. However the 235s are 1lb lighter and a more favorable tread width of 8.8" verse the 9" of the 245.

Now I know if I was RWD I would chose the 245s, but since I make up in traction being AWD would the lighter 235s be a better choice?

I could be being very nit picky and maybe this is all negligible
Which ones should I get and call it a day?

Last edited by SerenVoX; 06-14-2020 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0