View Single Post
      04-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 228i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
I went through this when an old lady backed into the side of my 240. She caused roughly $3,000 in damages which her insurance payed for. I then looked into getting reimbursed for the diminished value of the car, however after i spoke to a 3rd party appraiser i decided against it.

He told me the car may be worth a few thousand dollars less because of the accident, but i would have to pay him $600 to put together a report detailing the damage and the diminished value of the car. He also warned me that the insurance company could refuse to pay the diminished value of the car and i would then need to take them to court to receive the money.

At the end of the day i decided it wasn't worth going through the hassle and the grief of the whole process. If my car was badly damaged and the car was worth $5,000+ less then i would have gone through with it.
Thanks for your input. I feel like they told you that to stop you from pursuing it. You can literally just ask their insurance to give you a check for diminished value then negotiate from their offer. No need to pay a guy $600 (absurd) or take them to court. You can even hire a lawyer to handle it as far as I know. I think you should pursue it, it's probably not too late if it happened last year
Appreciate 0