View Single Post
      03-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

"Ideal" is dependent on what the user views as ideal. For me, the ideal street setup for the M235/M240 would be 18X8 with 245/35R18 in the front and 18X8/5 with 255/35R18 out back. That setup would give a solid blend of grip, neutral handling behavior with a slight push in the front, and some available slide and without wrecking handling feel, MPGs, or creating some odd darting/tramlining behavior because of excessive tire width. Of course, when it comes to tires for the street, Michelin Pilot Supersports and Sport 4s is where it's at, period.

I shopped long and hard for wheels and a tire setup for my M235. Lots and lots of people run 18X8.5 in the front and 18X9.5 out back and then stretch the stock tires to fit the wheel width; mostly in order to get the suspension and fender clearance they need. I'm not a fan of that approach at all. It's a bandaid. I ended going with Alutec Drive 18X8 et43 at all four corners. I'm currently running the stock 225/40 an 245/35 Michelin Pilot SS staggered setup on these wheels, but I will go with 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s at all four corners next year. I'd love to run slightly wider rims and tires out back, but they don't make these wheels in the 8.5 so I had to compromise. The offset is perfect and makes the setup look wider than it really is (especially out back) and the offset is such that I can run 245s in the front with no suspension or fender clearance issues. If this car has a handling issue, it's the narrow 225s in the front. The over 1" wider 245s will greatly enhance the handling feel and front end grip. The grip out back will have to be managed with throttle input and a mechanical LSD.

As for track use, I wouldn't dare run street tires during a track day. Autox? Sure. Track day? No way. Street tires can get mostly destroyed in 1 hour of track use and that's pricey. I'd definitely have a 255 width track tire/wheel setup for track days.