View Single Post
      11-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #13
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
BMW's floor liners are made by Weathertech.
That's interesting. I bought Weathertech's aftermarket floor liners once I brought my car home. I had assumed I would do that prior to buying the car.

After seeing the BMW floor liners at home, and after buying the Weathertech aftermarket units, it was clear that the latter were a far superior floor covering. Ironically, perhaps, I don't get in my car with stuff on my shoes, drive in the snow or rain, or otherwise ask much of floor liners. Weathertech units simply are more suitable for their intended purpose, I think.

The BMW floor liners that came in my car struck me as being as cheaply-sourced as the audio components in my $49K car. I'm not particularly concerned with floor liners, but my impression is that BMW "cuts corners" wherever it can. And, speaking practically, why wouldn't it. It was, IIRC, the world's most-profitable car company in both 2016 and 2017. Thinking ahead, without that level of financial result, how else is BMW going to pay for its transition to EV and EV-oriented automobiles.

Mind you, I do not mean to complain. A contemporary 2 Series car benefits quite a bit from the engineering expertise BMW has gained from its more costly models. This is especially true, I think, regarding its M-cars and its race cars. We 2 Series owners may be at the bottom of BMW's food chain, but I still think we're enjoying, by far, the greatest bang-for-the-buck that the marque has to offer.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-19-2022 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50