View Single Post
      03-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

I ordered my M240i with allseason runflats, and I've driven enough (300 miles) to see a big difference between these tires and the AWD with PSS that I took for a 2 hour test drive. Even without the front wheels burdened with the AWD effluvia, there is much less feel at ordinary speeds. Running at the posted advisory speed through a corner, the steering is dead. Once set in the corner I can take my hands off the wheel and it moves towards centre not at all or very little. The test car gave quite good feedback at the same speeds, as indicated by the wheel jumping back towards centre when released. Whether these tires stay on the car depends on whether the steering feel improves near the traction limit. I'll find that out once the weather improves and I can run my favorite twisty roads at about twice the posted corner advisory speed. (My previous fun car, an 01 Z06 was like this, so I'm not giving up hope.)

Even if I have to get rid of the runflats immediately, I'll still be happy with my decision because the PSS give way too much traction for fun in the twisties at slightly sane corner speeds. (They would have been ditched immediately for other choices, such as the non-runflat Potenza S-04 that has both less traction than the PSS and better steering feel.) Plus, I wanted to be sure that the car electronics were set up for all tires the same size. I prefer some oversteer because it's more fun (the fact that it's slower on a racetrack is irrelevant to me), and having wider tires at the back guarantees that I would have less oversteer.

Last edited by albertw; 03-22-2018 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0