View Single Post
      01-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #125
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Pirelli Winter SottoZero Series II runflat staggered 225/40/18 + 245/35/18 this winter.

Happy with my choice. This is after using Pirelli SottoZero 3 and Michelin PA4 previous 2 winters.

Before ordering I read a lot of reviews that didn't really favor the tire but still went for it. Reason: I wanted a) a staggered setup in oem size to keep a kind of performance part in winter season (and this tire is one of only 2 options I could find for F22 in oem size), b) wanted runflat tires (this is after losing 6 tires to bubbles and tears in potholes the previous winter, can't downsize because of M-performance brakes).

So far so good. Ukrainian winter roads can be tough. Performance-wise these are right in between my previous 2 choices, not a truly performance tire such as Pirelli SottoZero 3 and not a squirmy mushiness such as Michelin PA4. The tire does not excel in any particular category but they have weathered all the usual winter stuff so far and are good enough for all kinds of winter conditions. The car is neutral (not much understeer compared to summer tires), predictable and solid.

Overall, a good medium-range performer. Weaknesses: not particularly good on wet pavement above freezing. Strong points: very good on ice for its class, good feedback and predictability, good directional stability, can handle potholes and such. Never had a problem in snow, such as fresh or deep snow (but I may be biased because my car is xDrive). Comfort is not a problem.
Appreciate 0