View Single Post
      04-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #18
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

ok - so an update.

I tinkered with the built in HU EQ and had to turn the treble to the minimum possible, and turn the bass down about 3-4 ticks and it's actually fairly decent.
I had to move the l/r fader a tick to the right to do what I can with the front image, as these speakers are really sensitive to subtle changes in the fader (less so with the EQ).

Since I still have the old speakers in the rear deck I messed with the fade to compare and contrast and, you know what, it's really night and day. The morel hybrids are 'that' good.

The lower mid/upper bass is particularly punchy and clean, that's what amazes me the most so far. I get that the treble is great because it's got a dedicated tweet now, but the midbass is strong.
Sure satellite sounds like crap, and mp3 significantly better, but HD radio is nice and sharp.

Only one thing that was annoying, is that there is a very high noise floor. I understand these speakers are way more sensitive so they are picking up and playing any and everything that gets fed into the line. What this means is there is a hiss, like an old record player spinning before the song starts.

Some research said it may be the ASD. I figure, may, isn't really helpful a response, but I ordered the $55 part from technic and figured what the hell.
It's just an in-line filter so should be stupid easy to do.

Ha - no.

I thought you just lift the rear trunk liner and the amp is below.
It aint. It's in the drivers fenderwell. and you have to remove the trunk liner, the plastic trunk latch protector, and the entire carpet over the driver wheel well.
Again - I thought it would just be held on with clips. Nope, they are plugs that require a screwdriver to open (just slide a medium screwdriver under the clip and gently twist/rock back and forth until it pops. Don't pull or anything rough or you'll break it). So remove 4 from the plastic trunk latch protector, and 1 next to the rear seat fold latch.

Oops, there's one more on the inside of the car when the seat is folded.
Oh and there's an anchor that's held down but not with a clip. it's a darn torx screw and it's a huge size that isn't carried in most automotive kits.
I'm on my 3rd trip inside now for tools and the trunk is in pieces.
I found a very large flat head bit that fit in the tines of the torx and with a lot of grunt to release from it's sleep it gently came out.

Now pull the carpet right? wrong. try to wiggle out the plastic trunk protector. The rubber trunk surround blocks it from coming out so just get it so and it flies out - be careful not to bend the inside plastic guides. Then pull the carpet from the bottom to release the side from the fenderwell, and it will get stuck on the 12V cigarrete lighter cable, so reach behind and release it. no clip just pulls off. Now remove the darn carpet. (it gets stuck on the tray above the amp and ASD so just use 2 hands one under one over).

Pop off the little tray that protects the ASD and install the harness. This is the easiest part. Did I mention I'm doing this in a dark garage with a cell phone flashlight?

Now that it's on turn on the car (just accessory mode, no engine noise, no AC) to make sure everything works before reassembly.
Works! No errors or lights or codes or anything.

So put the carpet back (start on the rear seat side, assuming you never actually took the carpet out just pulled it aside) then re attach the 12V cable, and push everything in place.
Now pull the pins from the clips everywhere, pinch the clips to fit through the metal hole and with your thumb push the pin in the clip. Do rear seat, then net hook by trunk opening, then top clip by rear seat release. Then put in the trunk latch protector, try to get it as straight as possible, I used a needle nose pliers held with the tips closed to use as a conical wedge to gently roll the rubber surround over the lip of the protector as it covered the entire plastic plate. Make sure it's solid no rattles, then push in the 4 clips.
Now last is that torx screw and cover with its plate and you're done.

Now to go inside and listen to hopefully nothing but music - aaaaaaaaaaaand no dice. Still a hiss.

What am I missing? Is this the HU sending the hiss? The OEM amp?

Seth
Appreciate 0