View Single Post
      03-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

so here's an update many months later.
I finally got the morel hybrids installed in the sail panels in the doors.
no rears done, no amps, just the morels off the factory amp with the morel crossover.

Some notes:
much much much improved soundstage. I can leave the L/R fader centered. Before I had to compensate and even then it was so-so.

Bass is so much cleaner and more detailed, not just a mush of thump. Of course its source sensitive. It's just tight and clean which is great.

Treble is atrocious though. Worse than before. Likely due to the 'house curve' of the factory amp/eq. It's pushing a wierd mix of highs to compensate for the OEM woofer and nothing I can do in the idrive can help. It's almost like the midrange is gone. Looks like I need to get an amp installed pronto because the sound is harsh and fatiguing. Sounds great on classical music though.

I have my audiotech fisher amp and the shop actually recommended against it. For 2 reasons: 1) they've never installed one before and don't want to try. 2) they don't think an EQ makes a difference. Better to get an amp that you don't mess with as adjusting delays and alignment make no difference in this car. Too small, speakers close enough together, noisy environment, etc.

Seth
Appreciate 0