Thread: Video: Sonoma
View Single Post
      08-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Nice! The consistency of your line and smoothness with the controls makes for an enjoyable viewing experience. This quality of driving should enable someone new to the track to be confident in their car placement during their initial sessions.

The fact that videos are poor representations of what it's like in the car along with the throttle application data makes it look like you're conservative during the transition to full throttle. Whether that's true or not, I know that's not what it feels like.

Couple of questions: I've lost track – what tires are you running now; and, your seating distance from the steering wheel makes it look like you'd have better control if you sat closer – have you tried that and found it unsatisfactory or do you have concerns about the airbag going off with you right in front of it?

I'll be the first to admit that I like sitting right up on the wheel, air bags be damned*. My elbows are bent at pretty much a 90° angle when I'm holding the wheel at 9 & 3. It's not the safest, I know, as my knees are within an inch of the bottom of the dash. The position did help me save a tank-slapper once, so it "paid" for itself in that regard. I use this seating position on the street.

Was this your trailer's first outing? Isn't it nice having one?

* A neighbor told me that he was t-boned at the driver's door on the street the other day. His left-side airbags went off, and they did a number on his head (left ear still ringing along with intermittent headaches) and on the skin of his torso.
Appreciate 0