06-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #11
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Re: doing a swap while turning the car into a pure track/race car

Based on my experience, for reliability while leaning hard on the car, that would argue for a motorsports-quality standalone ECU (e.g., MoTeC GPRDI-M182 at ~$8K) and a custom harness after removing whatever was necessary from the car to accommodate it. (The more the better in that regard so as to reduce the car's overall weight.) I don't know what that would cost, but in the early 00s the custom mil spec wiring harness and connectors in my E36 M3 race car cost $22K.
Funny you should mention -- I'm in the middle of a similar DIY project, so I'm keenly aware of the costs (there's schematics, harness diagrams, and parts lists here).

If you keep things just a hair below full motorosports-grade, you can get away with ~7-8K in parts, plus many many hours of labor. (But hey, on the amateur level, our own labor's free!). A full-blown motorsports system, with proper traceability, and AS connectors for every single 2-pin sensor, can easily double that.

The price I mentioned still gets you a decent setup with a PDM, solid-state everything (including battery disconnect), standalone ECU (think Link/MaxxECU/ECUMaster/etc), CANbus-controlled everything (just a single keypad, no switches), Deutsch connectors (not necessarily Autosport everywhere), Raychem sheating and boots for transitions, etc.
aerobod3625.50