06-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #9
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Active Autowerke has a built short block for $20K, along with a $7K core charge.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I think the principal NA-swap problem (or any swap, for that matter) is how the F22's control modules would be completely and effectively integrated with what I assume would be a different ECU/DME. If the F22's engine controller is kept, then the problem would be reversed.

I know little about this subject, but my guess is that it's a non-trivial problem. It would be great if someone here has experience in this area.

I know a fellow who, at least as of a few years ago, had a side gig at a community college in the Boston area where he taught BMW techs the ins-and-outs of this sort of thing as it related to the work they did in dealership service bays. I can track him down if anyone is actually serious about spending what's likely to be a very large sum on a swap that could easily reduce the value of their car.
I haven't done many swaps on modern BMW's, though I have done a few engine swaps on various Japanese and American cars.

I will see the complexity of the swap comes down to 3 things :

1. Main use of the car / Main goal of the car
2. Do you want AC?
3. Will the car be street worthy

Depending on these, sets up how one would build the car/wiring harness.

If its just a track car, Stand alone ECU is best.
If you want to dual purpose, track and some street, Stand alone still be best, but you may be able to make it work with a stock S65 DME that's tuned, and that is where the complexity comes in. Do you want or need extra driver aids and safety? Or the engine configuration setting?

I know the shop that did the M5 V10 in the 1M did manage to make all the OEM systems work, so it should be possible with the right knowledge.
Appreciate 0