Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
when you are in auto mode, the fan speed setting is actually a "do not exceed" setting. therefore you should set it to the max for what you desire. then the car will be able to adjust fan speed up to the max to reach your temperature. the red\blue dial is actually quite significant so you need to adjust that to suit you as well.
I would describe it more as a "bias" setting. It actually adjusts the fan speed range across the board. So if you set it lower, the low is lower and the high is lower, but as you go up the low gets higher and the high gets higher too. I always prefer a bit more air blowing all the time so I have mine set to the high side.

The BMW HVAC system is remarkably flexible and tailorable once you understand how it works. Amazes me how many people gripe about the dash vent temp adjustment, for example. Particularly that first-class Internet Idiot, Doug DeMuro.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0