View Single Post
      05-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #84
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post
First, XutvJet thanks for starting this thread and posting all of the info/pictures, like others have said, this thread is super helpful and has had a huge impact on my wheel/tire selection.

I'm currently running the stock square 7.5" wheels with 225 summer runflats. Very happy they're finally worn out and now I'm thinking about a square 245 setup. I really wanted the OZ Leggera HLT's because I think they look amazing and are only ~19lbs, but I just can't justify spending that much on wheels living in Southeast Michigan.

I've been looking at the FlowOne Race Spec (terrible name) F4 wheels on TireRack since the look is about as close as I can get to the Leggera style - but they're much cheaper and pretty light (~20lbs). They are 18x8 ET42 and I'm leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 245/35/18 because they seem to be at least 90% as good as the MPS4S at about 80% of the cost.

The Conti's list the same section width as the MPS4S's at 9.8" but have a 0.2" wider tread width (8.6" vs 8.4"). I'm thinking fitment should be very similar since section width should be all that matters, right? Also the 42mm offset should push the tire 1mm farther away from the strut than in OP's verified fitment at ET43. Any insight on possible fitment issues?

Also wanted to see if anyone out there has any experience with these FlowOne wheels. All the reviews I can find seem to be positive but I'm still a little uneasy about purchasing them. The other option at almost the same price, size (18x8 et42), and weight would be the Enkei Raijin. Definite a more reputable company, but I'm not in love with the looks. Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks. A few things if I'm not too late here:

1) Spend the money on the MPS4. They are the best street tires for the money. Period. M2 owners that got Continental ExtremeContact Sport as factory equipment were pissed because of the difference in traction compared to those that got the MPSS tires as stock. The MPS4 is a step up in traction for sure. My M235 came with MPSS.

2) With the wheel offset and Continental ExtremeContact Sport width, I think you should still be okay. The tightest clearance point is the tire and strut body. I can almost squeeze my pinky in the space and that distance never changes during driving/turning. You're setup might be 1 to 2 mm closer to the strut.

3) I had hyper silver 18X8.5 Enkei Raijins with 235/40R18s on my 2012 WRX. Those were sexy wheels, especially if you replace the center cap with a flat one. It makes a big difference. The wheels were strong, light and the finish robust.

4) Before the pandemic hit, I was eyeballing FlowOne Race Spec F2 in blacked machined with dark tint as my summer wheels and the Alutecs become my winter wheels. I like the F4 styling, but feel that the wheels don't have enough visual mass for the 2 series body.