View Single Post
      09-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

228i N20 GSR Stage 1 Tune

Took off work early last week and drove down to Anaheim to have GSR flash their Stage 1 tune on my n20. Matt gave me his number and I was glad it was simple to set up an appointment with them.

This is my first BMW. I came from EvolutionM and we used Ecuflash there. Learned a great deal from those guys and I ran the Tephra modded Evo 8 rom on my high compression turbo e85 Lancer (passed emissions with no issue, you're not the only one Volkswagen AG ). I’ve had my share with piggybacks, splicing wires, etc. and it’s just not the same as flashing the ECU in terms of consistency. I'd prefer not to alter or manipulate the inputs being sent to the ECU and keep the safeguards in place. The information that GSR laid out in their threads and their responses to everyone's questions made me comfortable that they know what they’re doing.

I’ve had my 228i a little over a year now. Last year, it felt fast to me. Especially with the amount of low end torque and the 8 speed keeping you in the power band. But speed is a drug, you grow tolerance. So I decided to increase my dosage with a tune!

Stage 1 definitely makes a big difference. The torque and sound is addicting. First and second gear blow by so using S mode helps during full acceleration actually helps now. No issue breaking the 245s loose, especially with DSC off. It's rare I drive with DSC off though, I usually just leave it in Sport+ or I'd need new tires soon.

I drive my car to work everyday, no issues in terms of drivability, sitting in 100* F traffic with the AC on, accelerating in high gear, etc. If you drive it normal you wouldn’t even know it has a tune. Until you get on it, that’s when it sounds like a jet lol. It’s almost like an external wastegate. I can only imagine what Stage 2 with the Catless Downpipe can do. I must resist!

I made a video to try to capture on how the turbo sounds with the tune. No changes in the exhaust note from what I can tell. There are also little clips of the speedo to compare before / after the tune.

The first video was when I installed the M235i MPE. The second video is with the Stage 1 Tune + MPE. Both on 91 octane. Last clip on the second video is with a passenger.

M235i MPE:

Stage 1 Tune + M235i MPE:
Appreciate 4