View Single Post
      11-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #848
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plynth2697 View Post
Thanks for jumping in Sportstick. Given how few complaints I've seen, I can well imagine I'm in the minority. The entire concept of the camera is new to me--having only experienced on a limited basis in my GF's Accord. The BMW imaging is high quality, but I find the green and red lines disorienting and do not direct the car to where it needs to go. I'm a little dyslexic, so maybe some things things don't line up as they actually are.

And I will make the painful confession that I have had multiple curb rash episodes on the rear right wheel, something that's never happened to me prior through two previous BMW's. Would there be a benefit to simply disconnecting the camera?
No, I suggest not. The real motivation for the FMVSS mandate for the camera in all new vehicles is the number of small children, often in driveways, who may not be in the line of sight. The statistics are distressing and running over your own child/grandchild when backing up is a devastating event, and it may only happen once after decades of driving. Everyone says it will never happen to them, especially those unfortunate souls to whom it eventually happened. The assistance for parking is a secondary benefit or you can look away, of course, in a parking lot/structure/street parking, if it disorients you. I find the lines are actually very predictive of the path with that steering angle.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0