05-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #55
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
The new G20 M340i isn't a bad car, but really only a marginal improvement over the F3X platform (in my opinion). The M240i will be more fun overall due to the smaller dimensions while still being very easy to DD, and while the tech in the new G20 is impressive at first, a lot of it in the end is just gimmicks or very unintuitive such as the drive mode selector and gauges, and too many sub-menus for options, and most people will likely just plug in carplay anyways, plus the 2er has beautiful analogue gauges! If you are looking at hauling people, honestly it is do-able however, I would try it before you buy it. Should probably be able to get a good discount too since 2er's sell in lower numbers.

Hope this helped!
Thanks! Yes, it does help. I do intend to use CarPlay - use it all the time in my 440 and love it. That is kind of how I was feeling, too - like the tech is very impressive when you sit down, but once you start driving it really isn't a significant part of one's experience. (I would love Surround View, though - I have a narrow driveway & live in an area with narrow streets and a lot of street parking... that all gets easier with a smaller car, though!)

Fortunately not a lot of people hauling, only occasional. My daughter is prone to car sickness, which makes the back seat of the coupe, with its fixed windows, especially unpleasant for her. However, she is super tall and has been riding in the front seat for a while now, anyway (better on her stomach), and mostly when I am driving her it's just the two of us. It is very rare that I drive both her & my husband (we typically go in his Murano, which I refuse to drive because it's a boat), and she should be OK on rare occasions over short distances. I am leaning toward a red interior, or possibly cognac, partially to alleviate the claustrophobia of the backseat, which might help a little bit, psychologically!

I've actually found better discounts on the 3 series, which is partly because the rebates are higher ($4500 with loyalty), up to around $10k total off a new one, vs ~$7k off a 2 series ($3750).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
If you go with this, it may be worth your while to look for a new, previous year's model with a major discount. Be prepared to search nationwide to find the right car.
I am indeed looking nationwide - there aren't a lot around, especially in coupe form... more convertibles. Locally there are 0 M240 coupes, new or used. I was able to drive a 2018 M240xi convertible to assess its driving awesomeness, and then a 230xi coupe to assess the cabin (especially to give it a try with my 6'5" husband in front & carsick-prone daughter - see above - in the rear).

I am considering back to a 2018, although as of today I'm leaning toward new. (There are lots more 2017s out there, but I like the brighter gauge cluster that was added in '18.) My primary concern with going new is the potential for increased depreciation (already steep for a new car) when the 2 series is redesigned in a year.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25086.00
dradernh4459.50
BimBimM21486.00