11-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefersjdm View Post
2017 M240i with stock stereo. It's trash. Worse than the Bose in my prior 370z.

I'm not trying to blow the bank, but I'm wondering what the most reasonable path is to better clarity and more volume, which are my biggest gripes with the stock system.

Changing out all of the speakers and adding an amp is the clearest path to the best sound, but it's pretty expensive so here are some questions:

1. What are the speaker locations? Someone lay this out for me please, and if possible detail the worst pieces in the car.

1. Can I get away changing out the front speakers only? or will distortion from the back still bum me out? Brand / unit recommended?

2. Can I keep the speakers and simply add an amp to clarify the sound in a more cost effective manner than option 1? (I've never used an amp, so IDK what the results would be). Brand / unit recommended?

3. Should I just bite the bullet and change out every speaker?

4. Should I just bite the bullet and change out every speaker and add an amp? (or is this audiophile / overkill territory).

Thanks,
1. As your car doesn't have the Harmon/Kardon (HK) speaker setup, your front speakers are 2-way speakers in the doors. There is a speaker in the center of the dash but many peo0ple disconnect this as it muddies the sound. The rear speakers are likely 2-way speakers, also.

2. Changing an amp but keeping the factory speakers is not the way to go. Modern amps don't degrade the sound unless you crank up the volume.

3. I'd try replacing the front speakers first. Here's a list of 2-way speakers that fit your car: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...tp=105&l=C&o=r. The alternative is to step up to component speakers (separate mid-range and tweeter) in the front. This will require buying sails for the front doors to hold the tweeters. Change them all? Try the fronts first and do the rears if necessary.

4. Do the speakers and then look at amps later. I have the Audiotec-Fischer MATCH amp and love it.
Appreciate 0