View Single Post
      02-21-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Keep in mind that the ZF8 is used in a lot of different cars. So, details in the procedure may not carry over across all cars. Even across all BMW's.

I didn't worry about it when I changed my fluid. Just followed the procedure to bring it up to temp, fill to overflow, and then you're done.

You did say that the cooler doesn't have a thermostat valve. Where did you see that? Since you aren't draining the cooler separately, I would think the majority of fluid likely stays in the cooler anyway. Especially if it has a thermostat valve to prevent flow. So, no reason to think about it unless you are completely replacing everything. Or building it new at the factory, which may be where that reference comes from. They don't do the fill procedure when the car is built. It comes as a prefilled sealed unit and they just drop it in. In that case, they would have to add extra to account for the cooler.

If it really bothers you, I did see one video for a Dodge Charger where they said to do the fill procedure normally. Take the car out for a drive to heat up the transmission fluid fully. Then let the car cool and run the fill procedure again.

However, none of the BMW videos or write-ups I've seen do that. And it seems like overkill to me.
Appreciate 0