View Single Post
      03-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #16
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Thanks.

I might also mention that this solution involves a heresy.

:

The heresy is that the solution violates the principle, Thou shalt not mix speaker models and types.

But think about it. We use different speakers all the time for different effects: tweeters, mid-ranges, woofers, subwoofers. I realize that the use of Etons in the front and JLs in the back here is a little different. In particular, through the use of cross-overs we can control the differentiation of sounds sent to individual component speakers whereas I'm sending approximately the same signal to two systems with different sound signatures.

But the overall effect here is the same. In this case the Etons provide a natural sound throughout which is balanced by a more pronounced mid-bass and bass and high end in the JLs. I find the combination to work very nicely.

There is another theoretical drawback to mixing speaker models, that the soundstage would be adversely affected. But I don't think this is an issue in such a small environment, front to back. I myself don't notice a significant soundstage problem, though it's probably true that the soundstage would be marginally more defined if I had the same speakers throughout the car. The thing to keep in mind is that, with these changes, the soundstage is vastly improved over the HK setup.

One also has to consider matching impedances and efficiencies. But these are 4 ohm systems, as are the HK speakers, and they seem, at least to my ears, to have about the same volume levels. And there's always the fader control.

What I do notice is a noticeably improved sound at a modest price.

And the solution has the advantage of incremental changes: you can add the bits you like in any order as you feel the urge.

Last edited by selmeralto; 08-16-2016 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0