View Single Post
      10-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Originally Posted by hoppy6698
"As for X4/X6 - I know they are love/hate vehicles. Those who own em, love em for the reason they bought them (whatever their reasons are). I just stated that I don't get them. For the price, there are so many other vehicles with more power, more style, more utility, etc etc, even in the BMW line up. But they appeal somewhere to someone. I do think that the fact that other auto-makers have not followed suit shows something lacking in market research. Either BMW knows something that no other maker does, or after researching, all the other automakers did not feel there was enough return on the investment to bother."

The X6 was at first an unknown quantity and was initially expected to have its largest customer base in the USA. It is not.
Its largest customer base is in China followed by the Middle East,Russia,Brasil and then the USA. It has been a popular segment and has exceeded its initial sales target for a low volume vehicle. And now it moves into its second generation with not even one competitor at this time.

They are coming though, because it represents growth for these important markets. Mercedes are first up but so will Audi and yes even Porsche are planning a Cayenne Coupe. As for the X4 since its market introduction sales are on fire , some markets and I mean key strategic markets for this model have already sold their 2014 allocation. That is important and showcase that the competition will indeed follow through with an X4 rival possibly when BMW introduce the smaller X2 model. Which will no doubt continue the cycle.

A flagship X8 is not entirely out of the question.

"I have no issue with choice, but with dilution of brand. BMW is riding a fine line between being the BMW the current owners know and the mass market diluted BMW of the future. The same concern most have with the new FWD models and below 3-series slotting. Meanwhile, other brands like Porsche are unashamedly moving in the opposite direction - refusing to dilute or lower the brand for easier access of new buyers."

Porsche are "controlled" by VAG and unfortunately cannot sneeze without catching a cold. So as VAG will expand their brands to accommodate new models and in order to make development and production profitable then you will see additional models from the one platform and that will also include Porsche.

I can tell you now due to industry insiders that the next Cayenne gets an X6 Coupe rival as will eventually the Macan.
It is already common knowledge about the smaller Panamera which we will see before the end of the decade. And given the importance of the compact segment do not rule out a smaller SUV below the Macan or indeed a 3er rival eventually.
I had a 500€ bet that we would see the Macan and I have another regarding the smaller SUV.

Many seen to think there is a "holier than thou image" for manufacturers who would not go down the route of expansion and tend to highlight and single out BMW for doing so. But expansion brings in money to supplement existing and future products as does volume.

Manufacturers will still make the cars that customers want but in order to achieve further progress and a competitive edge in innovation then they have to supplement with other models.

Everybody else is changing because they are adapting to the change and progression of the market and the customer. Which is why you will see expansion and more cross-pollination between segments.
Those that ignore it are in danger.

It is inevitable.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 10-14-2014 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0