View Single Post
      11-28-2022, 08:34 PM   #44
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Agreed on all and my 987.2 Cayman is totally stock at the moment. I plan on the shifter cables, Carnewal exhaust mod and their high flow cats, plus suspension and other minor performance/visual mods.

The 987s are definitely fairly easy to work on, but I do have to say, the price for certain parts is quite hilarious. I'm putting a clutch and flywheel in mine over the next couple of weeks at the price of $2,900.....from an independent Porsche mechanic! The Porsche dealer wanted nearly $5K for the same job using the same parts. I do the job myself if I had a lift as the job is really quite simple.

I caution anyone buying a "cheap" Porsche to be prepared to spend a lot of money maintaining it even if you have the skills to do most of the work yourself. I knew this going in and I'm willing to spend the money keeping it maintained because to me, the 987 Cayman is a pretty rare and timeless looking car and almost has a first gen NSX-like vibe which is another car I really love.

When I walk into a Porsche dealer (and they are freaking nice inside), I become immediately aware of my wallet lightening and that I don't belong. My Cayman cost what some Porsche buyers spend on freaking property tax on their new Porsche in my county. LOL
The Porsche tax is real. No question that the cost of ownership can be high. The flip side is that they are relatively reliable cars, all things considered.

$2900 for clutch/flywheel is high no doubt, but actually not terrible for a Porsche - my 993 required an engine out to do the same job and that wasn’t cheap.

Most Porsche guys are pretty laid back people and have respect for all the sports car models (though they might get a little uppity about the SUVs).

I cross shopped a 987 with my F87 M2C and ended up with the latter mostly because of the back seat. I love the M2C, but the steering and dynamics of the Cayman blow away the BMW to be honest.
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35134.50