View Single Post
      06-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #19
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Quote from BMW engineer: At this point, because the signals to the DME were manipulated, the warranty is voided. We have no idea to the full extent of what was manipulated. The failures that have occurred with this engine are not characteristic for these engines. I do not have any B58 engines with a stuck lifter or scored camshaft bearings and I have many of these engines out there. The engine output was increased, and with that increase, premature wear is always a possibility. As a result, the policy will always be that ANY DME manipulation will result is a voidance of warranty. Our oil volume and pressure are electronically controlled from the DME. That algorithm which controls the oil volume/pressure has many inputs that are monitored to ensure that the correct calculation of oil volume/pressure are achieved. Turbo boost is monitored and is part of this calculation since the turbo is fed with engine oil supply and I know that this signal was manipulated with the Dinan software. This would most likely explain the failure and why I have not seen this failure before with this particular engine.

Basically, Dinan is increasing the boost/load on the engine without adjusting the oil volume/pressure to accommodate it.

Pat
This leads me to think that there must/should have been quite a few engine failures due to Dinan's V1 piggyback. I wonder if there were.
Appreciate 0