View Single Post
      04-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

N20 oil cooler conversion + Accusump install (wip)

I track my car quite a lot and planing to do it even more, including competing in national time attack events, so I laid out a plan to install an Accusump to prevent oil pressure loss.

Since the N20 motor has no oil cooler there are no oil lines to tap the Accusump into so this plan was divided in two stages.

Stage 1: deleting the factory water heat exchanger and replacing it with a air cooled oil radiator.

My parts list ( so far ) is this:
  • 1x N55 Thermostat housing with thermostat ( BMW p/n 11427637052 )
  • 1x gasket ( BMW p/n 11428637820 )
  • 3x Torx screw ( BMW p/n 11427542983 )
  • 1x Mishimoto Dual Pass Bar & Plate Oil cooler ( Mishimoto p/n MMOC-DP-S )
  • 1x Mishimoto Oil Line Fitting ( Mishimoto p/n MMOCF-BMW )
  • 2x aliexpress oil line clamp ( identical to Mishimoto p/n MMSBH-SEP-10, but 12 times cheaper )
  • custom made brakets to mount the oil cooler
  • custom made plug to close the coolant feed hose to the heat exchanger
  • still missing the oil lines and fittings

Stage 2: adding the Accusump
My parts list:
  • Accusump 2Qt ( Canton Racing p/n 24-026 )
  • Electric Pressure Control Valve ( Canton Racing p/n 24-271X ) ( not delivered yet )
  • Mounting Clamps Steel ( Canton Racing p/n 24-200)
  • a strut bar to secure the Accusump to ( still debating between KC Design and Wiechers )
  • a custom braket to mount the Canton racing clamps to and connect to the strut bar ( needs to be done after getting the strut bar )

I'm currently on "stage 1", I have the oil cooler installed in the car, I'm happy with how it turned out, got the plug for the water hose, only need to measure what the oil hoses length should be and get some AN10 fittings on them.

My first problem is that I can't figure out which line should be the cooler feed and which should be the return. On the thermostat housing, the circled part in the image is closed off by the thermostat, but in the technical documentation or RealOEM the only references to the oil lines say "oil lines", not feed and return. It probably doesn't matter but since my radiator has the lines on the side, I would like the feed line to go on the upper fitting and the return on the lower one, to benefit from gravity instead of fighting it.

If anyone knows which one ( A or B in my image ) is input / output please share.

More pictures:
Attached Images

Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger

Last edited by ngl; 04-12-2021 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: bad image links
Appreciate 2