View Single Post
      02-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #107
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

BMW uses an upgraded analog-inputs OEM amp for the 2-Series HK. It uses the exact same 42-pin connector as the HiFi OEM amp, the exact same 7ch outputs but with 12 speakers (instead of the HiFi 7 speakers) and 360W max (instead of the 205W of the HiFi OEM amp).

Early 2-Series owners complained to BMWNA about paying the same $875 as the F30 full MOST (digital) 600W/16 speaker HK system but getting way less and BMWNA issued an option credit of about $350 to settle this issue for those that contacted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
Yes the Hi-Fi setup is the best for aftermarket upgrade. It has analog high-level flat (un-equalized) outputs from the head unit to separate 7-channel amp.
The HiFi amp has built-in equalization and Hi and Lo pass filters.
Changing speakers only will still leave Hifi equalization effect on aftermarket speakers.
There is boost in upper midrange and uppes bass so it is not ideal to just upgrade speakers (although result is much better than stock setup).
However tweaking bass/treble controls can make them sound more a bit more natural.
In my case I have set treble -3 and bass -1.
On the other hand HK system is not easy to upgrade.
HK amp does not use analog signal so the head unit's output is digital.
There is no direct amp replacement for this system.
In addition HK amp outputs are heavily equalized and upgrading speaker only may not give desirable result
Appreciate 0