07-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It's going to be really hard to get a solid analysis here because you're pushing WAY more power than stock. It could be a gap, a bad plug, knock, poor fuel quality, a failing coil pack(s), a change in ambient conditions, the mood of the DME that day/week, etc. This whole plug gap thing appears to cause more issues than not in late model turbo BMW motors. The fuel and ignition systems are being pushed far harder than they were designed for and even in stock form, they operate within a narrow window. When you add a ton of power, you'll very rarely get a perfectly running car and will be endlessly tracking down oddities like this. The systems operate fine in stock form or slightly modded, but push them a lot harder and they start operating outside of their parameters and things can start getting wonky. It's just the nature of significantly modifying a car. You might think you've solved the problem, such as adjusting the gap slightly smaller, only to have the same issue appear 6 weeks later.
Good insight. Does make sense. The logs attached are in a more humid climate than usual. Last week I did multiple logs and didnt find this "issue", the tune was mildly less aggressive in high rpm boost + less humid. Then 2 weeks ago I had an even less aggressive tune overall and the issue was noticed.

Its on and off but seems to only happen on ignition #4. Maybe some upgraded coils and checking the gaps isnt a bad idea....
Appreciate 0