06-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #49
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadime View Post
Interesting, the instructors last weekend told me that I need to trail brake as I enter turns and slowly release, inducing understeer with too much speed is actually slow. I mean it sounds cool and is really fun but very hard on the equipment and if I can gain a few tenths by being smoother why not.

Like the vids Tajo!
These aren't incompatible, they are discussing different parts of the braking event. Bryan is referring to good threshold braking (brake onset), and not overbraking to slow more than you need to (keep 'em 'squealing' by maintaining enough speed that they are in slip angle - but some R compounds don't actually squeal much). The instructors advice on trail braking is referring to the brake release point and weight transfer, using the trailing brake to maintain more front weight up to the apex. I'm more familiar w/ tracking than autoX, but I know there are some distinctly different theories or approaches to this, with controversy covering the full range (i.e. trail braking is ideal vs. the worst thing you can do). I've heard from many sources that brake release and weight transfer through the turn are the key issues to focus upon, both timing and how you release.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50