View Single Post
      05-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

Looks like there is a drain/fill plug. The 1 series guys change the fluid... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409293

A: I see no doubt in this post.

B: BMW use to recommend that the oil should be changed at the 1200 mile break in point and then changed every 30,000 miles thereafter. This all changed as soon as they were on the hook for maintanence. See that as you will.

C: Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
guys there is a lot of confusion on this.

A. There is a fill plug on the m performance lsd. You can use a transfer pump and change the fluid at will. The lsd does not need to be removed. I do mine every 4-5 track days. I use Redline.

B. The fluid is prob. good for 100k in a stock car that never gets the oil heated up. On the track it may get out of heat range and the fluid will not lubricate properly accelerating wear.

C. Clutch pack system so the oil gets contaminated with the dust from the friction plates.
According to the ETK, the part number for the BMW oil is 83222295532 (this may differ for the LSD). My feelings are A: I don't want to void the warranty and B: I want to keep the car for a long period of time (so I don't want a noisy diff at 90k miles.) Therefore I am going to follow BMWs older recommended intervals with their fluid. If the diff blows up and they take an oil sample, I don't want them to refuse to cover it because a fluid (that was probably better than OEM like redline) was used so I will use their fluid.
Appreciate 0