View Single Post
      03-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
KrispyM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 2015 M4

Few things, gonna go a little backwards but should be able to follow.

Black intakes - factory intake is black. The hood is not clear so sunlight does not hit it therefore it does not exactly absorb heat, misconception there. Even if it did, it would be minimal unless it sat in direct sunlight without moving.

ECU adjustments - the guru cooolone2 mentioned is correct, especially when it comes to intakes. However, you have to give the car some time to adjust to these changes as the values are learned over time, look into short term vs long term fuel trims if you're inclined to learn more about it. The short of it is, there are 1000's of variables and the smart engineers and programmers at BMW know that, so they know that there will be some variation to the values that the ECU sees and it is equipped to handle that.

As previously mentioned, you won't necessarily feel the ~10hp difference. What you might feel is the slight loss of torque as shown by the dyno graph but even that would most likely be a placebo effect. The major difference is before 3k RPMs, after that it's pretty close.

However, this comes back to those 1000's of variables so your best bet would be to dyno your car on the stock intake, put the aftermarket on, drive it around for a bit, making sure to let the engine learn the entire rpm band, and get back on the dyno with as close to the same conditions as the first time...so good luck lol

I may include a TL;DR summary once I get another coffee lol
Appreciate 0