Thread: engine cover
View Single Post
      09-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Best thing you can do is not drive your car.

I'm not sure on the exact science behind it, especially with these plastics. But, heat cycles will happen every time you start your car. I don't see how cooling your car faster would help anything, the damage is done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_stress

"In mechanics and thermodynamics, thermal stress is mechanical stress created by any change in temperature of a material. These stresses can lead to fracturing or plastic deformation depending on the other variables of heating, which include material types and constraints.[1] Temperature gradients, thermal expansion or contraction and thermal shocks are things that can lead to thermal stress. This type of stress is highly dependent on the thermal expansion coefficient which varies from material to material. In general, the greater the temperature change, the higher the level of stress that can occur. Thermal shock can result from a rapid change in temperature, resulting in cracking or shattering. "

I also noticed drier climates degrade some plastics a little sooner, salt spray likely doesn't do any favours either.
Appreciate 0