View Single Post
      10-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
On that note, a lot of the M Car Control instructors were saying they preferred the DCT w/ manual paddle shifts over the standard stick shift - quicker shifts, less hand movement...

TBH, I'd really have to drive MT more to really know, but the worry really is if you have a situation with a lot of variables - traffic, speed, emergency conditions being thrown at you, things can get hairy...
Those instructors may be perfectly correct, and for the situations they encounter, that may be preferable. But, if you want more hand, leg, foot movement....if that is part of the enjoyment, even at the cost of being a bit slower overall...then they are addressing a different set of priorities.

For someone new or not experienced with MT, it can become daunting in the situations you mention. But, like other skills humans learn, after a while it can, when needed, operate in a less-than-conscious mode. Have a distracting conversation with an expert rag/stride/boogie pianist while all four limbs and all ten digits are in play at significant speed, while they look at and talk to you without missing a note. That fantastic part of our brains which allows us to do things reflexively kicks in. I've driven MT in emergency and challenging situations over my life time (not track...street), and thought back afterward to how my mind/arms/legs coordinated automatically under stress to work in concert.

One day, health or age may cause me to give this up, but meanwhile, it's just a lot of fun!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0