View Single Post
      11-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Which Are Your Favorite Tracks?

A question just popped into my mind, and it's this: which tracks are your favorites; and, more importantly, why?

Before continuing, I'd like to say that this isn't meant to be a kind of contest. Some of us have been to quite a few tracks, while others may have been to only one track. This is a chance for every owner to describe and discuss what we enjoy about the tracks we drive. That's all. If you've only been to one track and you've enjoyed it, or not, please share your experiences with the rest of us.

Mind you, there are a lot of drivers who enjoy the camaraderie more than they do the driving itself. For track junkies like myself, I believe that is always worth keeping in mind.

I'm hoping that answers to this question will encourage drivers to either travel to tracks they haven't previously driven; or, perhaps even better, cause owners who have yet to attend a track event to choose to attend one.

FWIW, this hobby continues to be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. No, seriously, it just is, okay.

Tracks are different enough from one another that the drivers I've canvassed over the years generally express with very clear and distinct reasons why they enjoy one track over a seemingly very similar track. Those kinds of expressions are what I would like to elicit here. Regardless of the number of track days or variety of tracks you've driven, there is no wrong way of expressing what you like about the tracks you've driven. Please, feel free to share your most important experiences.

I'd like to offer an example from a driver for whom I have the greatest respect and who surprised me with his evaluation of two of the tracks we'd both driven. This gentleman, who has I don't know how many hundreds of track days under his belt and at I don't know how many tracks, told me that he was very favorably disposed to Calabogie Motorsports Park, and that in contrast he didn't really care for the track at Monticello Motor Club.

My own experience is that these two tracks were so similar that in a general sense it was hard to tell them apart. Yet, this gentleman had very strong feelings about why one was more enjoyable than the other. The reason I use this example is that I had the opposite experience. Despite both being "drive five corners here, then drive over there to drive five more corners, then drive over there...(two more times)", I found MMC to be much more suited to what I would like out of a track. So, and as always, personal preferences rule, mileages will vary, and there is no accounting for taste.

What I hope makes this subject interesting is that there's no arguing with personal preference. One driver will feel that he or she is at one while driving a particular track, and the next driver won't care much at all for that same track. I think if we share with each other what we enjoy, and don't enjoy, from the tracks we drive, we have the opportunity to expand the number of 2 Series owners who consider taking their cars to the track.

It's such a great hobby, at whatever level it's pursued, that I'd like to see it encouraged among 2 Series owners.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

If this post receives some feedback, I intend to post my favorite tracks, along with my feelings for why I favor each.

First, however, I'd like to read, see, and hear what other members have to share.
Appreciate 0