View Single Post
      03-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Instrument Cluster Settings in iDrive Not Working?

1 step forward, 2 steps backward. This is my life.

Last week I installed a CarPlay module from Amazon (this one) in my 2016 228i and it works great! I've been thrilled with it. However, I've since noticed that some of the settings in the iDrive system are doing odd things - or nothing at all. I'm not sure if it's a result of the module, or something I've f*ed up in BimmerCode, or if it's been like that but something just ain't right. (Instrument cluster is the original 6WA model. I'd like to upgrade to the 6WB cluster, but no plans to do that yet if I can't fix what I already have.)

What's wrong:
(1) The clock in the instrument cluster does not match the clock in iDrive. I can change the date/time in iDrive, but when I do, the instrument cluster clock does not follow suit. And when I go back into the date/time settings everything has reverted back to default, as if it's never been set.
(2) In the Instrument Cluster Settings section of the iDrive, NONE of the options will allow me to check the boxes to turn things on or off. When I click, the screen appears to know that I've clicked, but no check mark appears in any of the boxes. Date, Range, MPG, etc., none will accept a check mark.
(3) The Gong sound has also disappeared. The entire stock stereo system is still 100% operable with carplay module in place - I can listen to the radio, play CDs, etc., but no gong when the door is open or lights are left on.
(4) Probably more things I've just not noticed yet.

What I've tried:
(1) Reset function several times (press/hold volume knob forever) and it will reset but doesn't fix the problem.
(2) Reverted back to the original backup configuration in BimmerCode.
(3) Pull positive battery terminal cable for over an hour.

No dice.

My next step is to pull the CarPlay module to see if it's causing a data connection issue between iDrive and the instrument cluster, but was hoping someone might have some suggestions or other things to try before I tear into my car again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ZGadson; 03-26-2020 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0