View Single Post
      01-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #20
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

Stating as an absolute a preference to disconnect the center speaker when doing a system upgrade is shortsighted.

I would agree if the OEM amp was retained or the replacement amp and added DSP wasn’t advanced enough.

I had my 335i center channel disconnected for example and since I am usually by myself when driving, the driver optimized tune works out perfectly and my wife doesn’t really notice how much better the system sounds when in the driver seat and how relatively bad it sounds in the passanger seat. Just the nature of the beast.

Interesting YouTube video from Andy Wehmeyer, owner of Audiofrog.

I know I have different BMW models but all BMW audio systems are very similar so while finalizing an upgrade for my X6 I have been browsing all forums in my research.

For the X6 I am having the new Helix DSP Ultra installed and programming two tunes, a 2-seat tune and a driver seat tune. The new Helix DSP Ultra has improved Virtual Channel Processing and adds some FX sound features including Real Center.

In order to maximize these newer capabilities, I will be upgrading all 3 pairs (FL/C/FR) of my front stage to identical mids and tweeters. If the DSP Ultra real center works as well as the pro level Brax, and it should, I won’t have to compromise enjoyment of the system sound stage to just one seat, both seats will have the same optimal experience and when I want, toggle to a driver seat tune when I am alone.
Appreciate 0