View Single Post
      04-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #63
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
After driving the F87 M2 this weekend and looking at all it has to offer - I walked away a little disappointed with the HK system. Checked the forums and alas I was directed to this thread!

I've downed a few glasses of red reading through various threads and watching related videos.

selmeralto Are the Eton and JL plug n play like the Bavsound?

A lot of the threads regarding the BimmerTech amp refer to the HiFi system - just wondering if the HK amp is OK or needs replacing if one chooses Bavsound/Eton/Focal etc...

Now to look into deactivating the ASD....
Hi Aust350z.

Yes, both the Eton and the JL Audio are plug and play with the HK system and, at least in my opinion, no additional amplification is needed.

The Etons fit the front door mounts exactly, requiring no electrical or physical adaptors whatsoever - they come equipped with BMW connectors and fit in without any need for spacers or any other changes. Just take off your door panels, swap them in, and enjoy. The speakers are 4 ohms, just like the HK originals.

The JLAudios (also 4 ohms) for the rear deck require two very minor modifications. First, you have to twist off (on perforated lines) the two mounting tabs you won't be using. This takes about 5 seconds. Second, you need to connect the units electrically, which you can do by buying a BMW connector kit for US $10 or by just splicing into the existing car wires and using the connectors supplied by JL. The speakers drop in using the existing BMW screws without any further modification needed. All this can be easily done from the top. I doubt if the change would take you 30 minutes.

As to whether you'd want to add/change amplification after you change out the speakers and monkey with the sound deadening, I can only speak for myself. I listen to music loud and don't like noise or distortion. I have a high end stereo system in my home with large Magneplanar 3.6 speakers and enough wattage to dim the lights at the nearest airport. It's not the highest end system in the universe but it is pretty good. So I care about musical fidelity and listen carefully. For what it's worth, the changes I've made in the M235i are acceptable to me. I listen to my car system at volume and the sound is clean, has punch, and is natural sounding.

The Eton/JLAudio combination set me back about US $350. I know I could have spent US $1650 for the Bavsound/Bimmertech combo and even another US $500 to replace the underseat woofers. But honestly, I don't think these differences would warrant the cost. This is just speculation on my part, of course.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by selmeralto; 08-17-2016 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 1