View Single Post
      07-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #35
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I tend to only hold onto a car for 2-3 years but it's because of the cars that I choose to own. I also don't buy brand new, I try and find one that's a year old and save on the depreciation hit.

I would absolutely never own anything German out of warranty, but that's just a personal preference. These cars have computers that control literally everything, and prices on parts is astronomical so owning a modern car "long term" is just asking for trouble in my eyes, despite you being able to do your own work.

I grew up working on/building 3000GT VR4's/Stealth RT/TT's and for their era they had quite a bit of tech on them. They were still easy enough to work on though and I did everything myself (rebuilt engine/trans/transfer case/rear diff/turbo swap/etc). Something like that I would've kept long term and loved it, but I had to sell my VR4 after college for financial reasons. I still miss it every day. "Older" cars are just more fun and natural to drive than a modern one because of all the tech/electronic everything/etc. But I think that's one of the reasons why people jump cars so often. It's hard to have the same connection with them, and they're just expensive to maintain and keep long term.
Appreciate 0