View Single Post
      07-07-2020, 01:56 AM   #1
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

HK speaker replacement including center

I have a 2015 M235i convertible with the Harman Kardon system and am ready to upgrade the speakers. I have already replaced the stock HK amp with the Audiotec Fischer Match Up 7BMW amp, and have also added an 8" Alpine sub in a sealed box. This has improved the soundstage and (seriously) upgraded the low-end. But, the sound quality is still too muddled for my liking. Focal has a new BMW-specific offering that looks like it may be good, but the thing that I am having trouble figuring out is the center channel speaker. I know that many people recommend unplugging this, but the Match amp does some DSP that actually uses the center channel to create a surround effect rather than just mash the left and right together. As such, I don't want to get rid of the center, but do want it to have the same sound characteristics as the left and right. My center channel consists of a separate woofer and tweeter, but the Focal BMW-specific products only include a coaxial center (presumably for people upgrading from the base stereo which doesn't have separate tweeters). So, my questions for the experienced members of this group are:

- Has anyone successfully replaced the HK center? Is it possible to remove the HK tweeter from the mounting bracket it is in and swap in an aftermarket tweeter? Does anyone sell this mounting bracket separately?

- Has anyone found a source willing to sell a single 4" component speaker rather than the usual pair?

- Has anyone heard this new Focal IS BMW 100L system? I have heard some good things about the now-discontinued prior IF-BMW system, and this is still in stock in a few places. There however seems to be no reviews of this new system.

- Any other speaker recommendations for a convertible? I drive the car almost exclusively with the top down, so am leaning towards metal tweeters to cut through the noise.

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone can provide.
Appreciate 0