View Single Post
      01-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Can anyone shed light on this headlight anomaly?

I posted here as this isn't a lighting modification nor cosmetics issue. This would be a maintenance/repair issue.

I had a headlamp replaced after a dance with a doe on a nice twisty back road in CT. Yay. (The deer lived... wasn't a major impact.) This is a brand new headlamp assembly - housing, bulbs... the whole thing replaced.

Get a load of the "blown-out" light pattern for the driver's side. In some ways it's nice - it throws a lot of light to the left. But... it also causes folks to flash their brights at me. As I drive around, I do see a bright spot way up high on houses & in the trees. (But as you can see in the pics, this is not an aiming issue - the bottom of the pattern is even with the psgr side.)

First pic is the pattern with the OEM headlamp.

Second pic is the new headlamp, low beam.

Third pic is the new headlamp, high beam.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what might be going wrong here. Nothing with regards to the headlamps has been coded. This is post install by the body shop, and a new BMW headlight assy was installed on the car. They're also looking into it as they can plainly see there is an issue. I am just curious. And impatient. LOL

I am thinking there is something wrong with the internal shutter mechanism. As you can see the light pattern is "blown out" - but also note the very little change from low to high beam. (I actually had a similar problem on my Range Rover Evoque - the shutters that control the beam pattern & high/low beams were defective.)

Thanks!
Jim
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 01-05-2017 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Add pics.
Appreciate 0