View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #14
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcfgh View Post
Because I'd rather not replace tires after 10k miles....I'd like to get to 20-30k miles on a set.
On a summer only tire (not track tire) you get the same mileage as on a non summer tire of high performance. So figure 25-30k at least (depending on how you drive and your air pressures).

Because you get no rain and no cold temps, there is no advantage to getting an all season (unless you drive to northern california). You simply are paying for performance you aren't using.

However, if you like a quieter/luxury tire, you unfortunately are limited to all seasons.

At this level (UHP or Max), which tire is a matter of personal preference. Some like the way a particular brand makes the steering feel or lose traction in certain conditions and some don't.

Lots of people go for the default michelin, which is a good choice, but also the most expensive and not top in all categories. Others swear by the continentals as those are OEM. Many choose Pirelli or bridgestone. For a while Goodyear was a top pic. Me? I went with General for summer since they were about as quiet a summer UHP tire you can get, have almost all the traction of the most expensive brand (heroic in the wet which doesn't apply to you), and cost way way less.
Next time I won't go with such a super high performance tire, because the chassis in the 2 is so good, I can really go with something more cushy and quiet (this is my DD) and still be able to dance if needed.

Seth
Appreciate 0