02-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #54
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
That's been the excuse thrown around here. But the reality is not that simple. Dig deeper. There is a fundamental problem with the people at BMW. See the above posts.
Yeah, I hear that argument about China all the time, and I can't help but think that it doesn't make a ton of sense.

BMW has what...4 different front ends for the 3/4 series platform depending on trim level and body style right? You're telling me they can't come up with a couple more front ends for the USDM market that don't have the huge "china face?"

Yes, the Chinese market is big, but the U.S. market is still quite large. You know what market is smaller than both though? The European market. And yet BMW designs entire diesel engines for that market. But we're saying a new front fascia is too difficult to produce for the second biggest market in the world?

Another example would be Toyota designing like 4 or 5 different mid-sized sedans for their domestic market. Did Toyota really need a bunch of RWD Camry alternatives when the Camry platform is RIGHT THERE? And did they need to give each of those RWD mid-sized cars unique styling? I don't know, but all of that seems like a lot more work than making a new front end for the 4-series. And again, the Japanese domestic market is significantly smaller than the North American one.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25083.00
mkoesel7514.50
BigHunk269.50